Sporting contact lenses are a protected and handy technique to right your vision — so long as they’re worn, cleaned and brought care correctly whereas careless utilization of lenses can put you susceptible to creating eye infections and even trigger harm to the attention. In different phrases, contact lenses are the very best alternate options to glasses if worn appropriately and hygienically as a result of if correct lens hygiene habits usually are not maintained, then it could even result in critical sight-threatening infections like bacterial or viral corneal ulcers or Acanthamoeba Keratitis.
Due to this fact, if a toddler or teen is just not able to responsibly deal with contact lens, then sporting it may be delayed. In an interview with HT Life-style, Dr Priyanka Singh (MBBS, MS, DNB, FAICO), Director and Guide Ophthalmologist at Neytra Eye Centre in New Delhi, “Contact lens come in several varieties based mostly on their period or validity. It ranges from every day, month-to-month, and three month-to-month to yearly varieties. Every day contact lenses have the least likelihood of an infection with low upkeep however excessive value in comparison with yearly contact lens. Whereas, month-to-month and three month-to-month contact lenses are essentially the most generally used contact lenses”.
She added, “It’s advisable to not use contact lenses past their validity time, even when it seems to be effective and the whole period of sporting contact lenses in a day shouldn’t exceed 6-8 hours and it shouldn’t be worn throughout bathing or whereas sleeping”. She advised:
1. At all times take away your CL earlier than sleeping and by no means ever sleep with CL on.
2. Earlier than placing your CL, all the time wash your fingers correctly with cleaning soap and water. Faucet dry with lint-free towel after which placed on one CL at a time (to keep away from mixing up the correct and left sides)
3. For eradicating the CL once more wash your fingers first, and dry them with a towel to reduce the switch of an infection by means of your fingers or water.
4. After eradicating lenses, rinse CL with the lens resolution and exchange the answer current within the lens case with a brand new one.
5. At all times change the answer every day even when the lenses usually are not getting used
Dr. Priyanka firmly suggested, “By no means exchange your lens resolution with anything. Purchase a great high quality resolution, and examine the seal and expiry earlier than utilizing it. In case you’ve got eye irritation, don’t wash your eyes with water, as an alternative, put eyedrops prescribed by your ophthalmologist. If irritation persists, take away the lenses and seek the advice of your Eye physician. Moreover, cease sporting contact lenses for someday you probably have an eye fixed an infection and discard the CL as it would carry the an infection”.
For make-up lovers, she advisable:
1. Put contact lenses (CL) earlier than making use of make-up
2. Take away CL earlier than eradicating make-up
3. Don’t apply glitters or eyeliners contained in the interior rim of the eyes
Highlighting the dos of contact lens put on and care, Dr Pallavi Joshi, Guide-Cornea, Ocular Floor and Refractive Surgical procedure at Sankara Eye Hospital in Bangalore, advised:
1. Do wash your fingers earlier than touching your eyes or dealing with your lenses. Totally wash your fingers with cleaning soap and water and after rinsing and dry your fingers with a clear towel.
2. Do disinfect your lenses if you take away them out of your eyes, utilizing solely options advisable by your ophthalmologist.
3. Do take away your contact lenses earlier than sleeping, swimming, and showering.
4. Do clear your contact lens case weekly with heat water and exchange it at the least each 3 months or as advisable by physician.
5. Do carry a pair of glasses with you in case you have to take away your contact lenses. Additionally, all the time maintain your lens case in helpful wherever ever you go.
6. Do change your resolution within the lens case every day and clear the lens case in clear water.
Speaking in regards to the don’ts of contact lens put on and care, she suggested:
1. Don’t over put on your lenses. Change them as typically as your physician recommends.
2. Don’t rub your eyes whereas sporting contact lenses.
3. Don’t enable make-up to get into your eyes when sporting contact lenses.
4. Don’t share your contact lenses with anybody.
5. Don’t put on your contact lenses in case your eyes really feel irritated or seem crimson. Give them an opportunity to de-stress earlier than inserting them again into your eyes. In case if the redness within the eyes persists together with blurry imaginative and prescient, kindly seek the advice of your ophthalmologist on the earliest.
6. Don’t skip your routine eye examination. Even when your eyes seems to be effective, eye-health and check-up is essential, notably in case you are an everyday consumer of contact lens.
At all times seek the advice of your physician for the right refractive energy of your eyes and call lenses that most closely fits your eyes.